Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The fence...

So the number one reason I bought this home was for the half acre lot.  My doggies need room to play and lets face it...so do I.  Growing up on 13 acres made me love the outdoors.  We decided we wanted to go with a white vinyl fence.  We are the DIY type of people...especially when the fence quotes came back with a whopping $12,000.  Now imagine building a fence in July, Aug...and maybe a few months later!  There is a lot of sweat in this fence, but damn it looks good.  O'Malley and Zara love it and I mean loooovvvve it.  My imaginations runs wild, I am the type of person where I imagine that anything can happen to my animals.  So when we were designing our fence and deciding all the details I thought...maybe I do not want any gates.  I have seen a few kiddos around this area and what if they opened the gate and my dogs got out... or what if my dogs figured out how to open the gate themselves.  Yes, it is crazy and I realize that but our dogs are like our kids...safety first!

So lets start drilling some holes and pouring some concrete.  Being a very impatient person I was thinking I would be seeing some progress in no time!  Todd on the other hand is the practical one.  He knows that we need to get a fence permit, find all four of the property lines, stretch some strings, paint some X's, call Julie before we dig and on and on and on...I thought we were just putting up a fence?  Now I see why the quote is so high!  I don't know about you but drilling 60 holes a couple feet down sucks!  So what do we do, rent a post hole digger and hirer someone to drill those holes :)  It was only a few hundred and well worth it.  We also purchased a concrete mixer from Home Depot online for about $400 and oh my it was so worth it.  It really does a great job for mixing and is very easy to move around.  So yes, it took us a couple months getting this fence done but it looks amazing and was well worth it.  We saved about $7000.  Check out the pics!  This spring I am hoping to tear out that concrete where the sexy camping chairs are.


No comments:

Post a Comment